Welcome Autumn! Always a relief after an Australian Summer…
Our expectation is of cooler days, and evenings spent snuggled under a blanket. More time inside with loved ones, and perhaps a bit more streamed television or movies. But what may seem romantic in our head, often doesn’t fare well for our skin.
Autumn weather can wreak havoc on any skin type – especially in the southern/ cooler states of Australia. In this short and sweet blog, we share some of our top autumn skin care tips to see you and your skin through the change in seasons – through Autumn and beyond!
1. Exfoliate your skin regularly. Regular exfoliation helps to stimulate collagen synthesis to improve the skin’s texture, integrity, and keep the skin looking plump, tight, and minimises the appearance of ageing.
2. Moisturise your skin daily. As we age, the oil glands that keep skin healthy begin to decline, therefore they create fewer oils. Moisturising the skin daily assists the glands so they don’t have have to work as hard to keep skin healthy as we age.
3. Be mindful of being in air conditioned rooms more, as this can dry the skin. Over time, low humidity can rob your skin of moisture and dry it out. Research shows that dehydrated skin is less flexible, duller, and can’t repair itself effectively. So those pesky fine lines and wrinkles can appear more pronounced.
4. Remember your sunscreen to protect against autumn sunlight (and Winter as well). Just one instance of sunburn can increase your risk of developing melanoma. And it is often the case that Autumn or Winter sunburn can be worse, as the sun feels weaker and we feel like we are less likely to burn. However the UV is just as harsh, even without the warmth that comes with Spring and Summer.
5. Get beautiful skin from within via supplementation (such as BEAUTY BOSS Bovine Collagen, and the soon to launched: BEAUTY BOSS Vegetarian Collagen). We feed our skin, and our bodies from within with food, hydration and supplementation. Collagen supplements help to support skin structure, elasticity, hydration and firmness.
6. Sleep! So important for skin health, along with mental health and so on. Sleep is very important for our bodies to rest and repair. Skin makes new collagen when we sleep, which prevents the look of ageing and sagging skin. Our eyes will be less puffy, and sleep can also assist with hair health via an increased blood flow to the scalp. Further to this, the additional stress (from lack of sleep) can lead to an increase in the hormone cortisol, which can cause you to lose hair.
There are many tips and tricks to keeping our skin looking good, and feeling healthy all year long. These are just a few to help you navigate the journey into the cooler months!